Crawfish Pie Recipe
Watch and learn how to make one of Louisiana's greatest delicacies ... the crawfish pie!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
- ½ cup butter (or 1⁄4 stick butter)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 3⁄4 cup chopped onions, divided
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound frozen crawfish tail meat, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- ½ cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg yolk, whipped
- 3⁄4 cup parsley flakes
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Egg wash (1 egg with milk or water)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts.
2. Add celery, 1 cup onions and red bell pepper to a frying pan. Add butter and cook on medium-high heat until vegetables are soft.
3. Add heavy whipping cream, 3⁄4 cup onions and minced garlic to the pan and stir. While stirring, add cream of mushroom soup, egg, parsley flakes and wine.
4. Sprinkle bread crumbs over ingredients.
5. Add in crawfish tails and simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Pour crawfish mixture into bowl. Stir in cayenne and white pepper.
7. Pour into pie crust and cover with second pie crust. Trim excess dough if needed.
8. Cut slits into pie. Next, mix a touch of milk or a touch of water with 1 whipped egg and brush it all over the top of the pie.
9. Bake pie for 30-45 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown.
10. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve.