If you have a large batch of crappie or other fish to cook, simply double the water and crab or shrimp boil amounts. This recipe was a big hit with my family and friends and I am sure it will be with yours.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 crappie fillets (6 to 8 ounces each), cut into finger-sized strips
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 6 to 8 ounces crab or shrimp boil
- Cocktail sauce
1. Refrigerate crappie fillets in a saltwater bath for an hour. Rinse and cut fillets in half down the lateral line.
2. Cut crappie fillets into finger-sized lengths and place strips into boiling water and shrimp boil mixture. Fillet strips will curl, firm up and become very white in appearance when done. Cook for approximately 4-6 minutes, depending on length and width of strips.
3. Remove strips from water and drain on paper towels. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or more to chill the strips thoroughly.
4. Serve on a bed of crushed ice with toothpicks or small forks and dip curls in your favorite cocktail sauce.