May 03, 2011
If you have a large batch of crappie or other fish to cook, simply double the water and crab or shrimp boil amounts. This recipe was a big hit with my family and friends and I am sure it will be with yours.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 crappie fillets (6 to 8 ounces each), cut into finger-sized strips
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 6 to 8 ounces crab or shrimp boil
- Cocktail sauce
- Refrigerate crappie fillets in a saltwater bath for an hour. Rinse and cut fillets in half down the lateral line.
- Cut crappie fillets into finger-sized lengths and place strips into boiling water and shrimp boil mixture. Fillet strips will curl, firm up and become very white in appearance when done. Cook for approximately 4-6 minutes, depending on length and width of strips.
- Remove strips from water and drain on paper towels. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or more to chill the strips thoroughly.
- Serve on a bed of crushed ice with toothpicks or small forks and dip curls in your favorite cocktail sauce.