Colorado State Parks Announces Water Release and Water Level Changes
For immediate release: August 9, 2010
Colorado State Parks
CONTACT: Kimi Hollwedel, (970) 736-2436, email@example.com
Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District, (970) 871-1035
This news release is also available at www.colorado.gov/parks
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo.. – The water level at Stagecoach Reservoir will drop 10 feet by Labor Day and 15 feet by Sept. 18 during construction work on the dam. The project will cause significant changes in recreation activities at Stagecoach State Park. The anticipated average water release of 142 cubic feet per second (cfs) will increase normal flows downstream for the remainder of the summer.
The current construction schedule calls for the following changes to the park operations:
- The Morrison Cove boat ramp will close for the season on Aug. 13, 2010.
- The parking lot and trail will be maintained as long as possible. However, there will be a point at which the whole parking lot will close.
- The boat ramp at the marina in addition to the swim beach will close for the season on Sept. 7, 2010. Many boat ramps have closed or will soon close due to the low water levels and construction.
- Although trailered water craft are not allowed after closures, hand launch vessels (kayaks, canoes, belly boats) will be allowed until the reservoir begins to freeze.
- As always, low water hazards may exist and it is the boater’s decision if they would like to recreate on the water or not.
- The parking lot at the dam will be closed to public access starting Aug.16 and will remain closed through project completion on Nov. 30, 2010.
- The Elk Run Trail from the dam to Morrison Cove will also be closed from Aug. 16 to Nov. 30. If we are able to open sections as work is completed we will, but please plan on and respect the total closure to this section of the trail.
Since these areas will be considered “construction zones,” there will be no access even during after hours. All closures are in place for public safety. There will be other periodic trail closures along the Elk Run and Lake View Trails. Significant sections of the Tailwater will be closed in October for approximately one week.
If you have a question about recreation activities, trail, ramp, or park accessibility and operations, please visit www.parks.sate.co.us or call the park office at (970) 736-2436. For questions or concerns in reference to the construction project, please call Andy Rossi, UYWCD District Engineer at (970) 871-1035. Current reservoir water levels are posted at www.upperyampawater.com
Stagecoach Reservoir and State Park Estimated Schedule for Remainder of 2010
|Date||Area of Interest||Scheduled Status|
|Aug. 13 ||Morrison Cove boat ramp ||Closed for the season |
|Aug. 16 ||Elk Run Trail (from Dam to Morrison Cove) ||Closed till Nov. 30 |
|Aug. 16 ||Parking Lot at Dam ||Closed till Nov. 30 |
|Sept. 6 (Labor Day) ||Reservoir water levels ||Down by 10 feet |
|Sept. 7 ||Boat ramp at marina ||Closed for the season |
|Sept. 7 ||Swim Beach ||Closed for the season |
|Sept. 18 ||Reservoir water levels ||Down by 15 feet |
If you have a question, please call or email:
Park Access and Recreation
Stagecoach State Park
Dam Construction or Current reservoir water level
Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District
Current reservoir water level www.upperyampawater.com
Attracting nearly 12 million visitors per year, Colorado's 42 State Parks are a vital cornerstone of Colorado's economy and quality of life. Colorado State Parks encompass 225,099 land and water acres, offering some of the best outdoor recreation destinations in the state. Colorado State Parks is a leader in providing opportunities for outdoor recreation, protecting the state’s favorite landscapes, teaching generations about nature and partnering with communities. Colorado State Parks also manage more than 4,100 campsites, and 57 cabins and yurts. For more information on Colorado State Parks or to purchase an annual pass online, visit www.colorado.gov/parks.