May 21, 2018
This Cajun walleye recipe combines real Louisiana flavor with a zesty and fresh cilantro lime relish
By: Randy Newberg
Randy Newberg, host of Leupold's Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg cooks up his walleye catch with a Cajun twist!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 4 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 to 1 ½ cups flour, depending upon desired spiciness
- 4-8 walleye fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cilantro Lime Relish Ingredients:
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
1. Combine all of the herbs and spices in a small bowl. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
2. Lightly pat each walleye fillet dry with paper towels. Dredge each fillet in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
3. Prepare the grill by placing foil over grill grates, then paint foil with a light layer of butter.
4. Grill walleye fillets over medium heat (350 degrees) until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Then flip the fillets and grill the other side, until done. Fish should flake easily with a fork. While cooking the last side, place thinly sliced lemon wedges on top of each fillet. Remove from grill when done and plate fillets.
5. Combine all cilantro lime relish ingredients and add some to the top of each walleye fillet. Enjoy!