December 08, 2010
By The Camo Gourmet
Chef Tommy LeVasseur is known for incorporating his healthy and organic lifestyle into each and every one of his recipes. This time, he uses bison which is about 50% more lean than beef, to create a unique espresso-themed, gourmet dish.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 – 6 ounce bison steaks
- 4 tablespoons ground espresso
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper (optional for additional spice)
- 2 ½ ounces virgin olive oil
1. Remove steaks from refrigerator 15 minutes prior to applying the rub and pat dry with paper towels. Combine together all the rub ingredients in a bowl that has enough bottom surface area for steaks to lay flat. Drop one steak at a time in the rub and work the rub in aggressively.
2. Start heating a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat until you can hold your palm 3 inches above the surface for only a three Mississippi count. Add olive oil to the skillet. Allow 15 seconds for the oil to get smoking hot!
3. Place both steaks in the skillet. Flip them after the heat line on the side of the steaks is ⅓ of the way up the side. Cook about half the time on the next side. Medium rare is your goal. Let the steaks rest 3 – 4 minutes by covering them on a warm plate.