Balsamic Roast Quail with Sage Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
This Balsamic Roast Quail with Sage Chestnut Stuffing Recipe is the perfect recipe for a festive, fancy feast this season.
December 13, 2017
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- ½ pound fresh chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 6 slices stale bread, broken into pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 fresh quail
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a sharp knife cut an "X" on the flat side of the chestnuts. Place chestnuts on a cookie sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes or until chestnuts open up. Cool chestnuts and then peel and remove the skin. Chop chestnuts and set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium sauté pan. Add garlic, onions and celery; cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. With a spatula, fold in the bread, chestnuts and chicken broth.
- Season chestnut mixture with fresh sage, salt and black pepper. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Adjust oven to 425 degrees. Rinse quail under cold water and pat dry.
- Rub inside and outside of quail with olive oil. Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to fill each quail with the cooled stuffing. With a 10-inch piece of butcher's twine, truss the quail the same way as a chicken. Brush quail with balsamic vinegar.
- Place stuffed quail on a roasting pan and roast in oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove roasted quail and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.