Baked Garlic-Tomato Red Snapper
A little bit of lemon, olive oil and herbs take this red snapper dish to the next level
- 4 (8 to 10-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice; strained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic; finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano; crumbled
- 2 medium-sized firm, ripe tomatoes; washed, cored, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon parsley; finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Pat the red snapper fillets completely dry with paper towel and season them on both sides with the salt and a few "grindings" of pepper.
Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of the oregano in a shallow dish just large enough to hold the fillets in one layer. Stir lemon juice mixture until the ingredients are well blended. Then add the fillets and turn them about to moisten them evenly. Arrange the fillets, skin side up. Place the tomato slices over them and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oregano on top.
Bake in middle of oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until fillets flake easily when pressed gently with a fork.
Sprinkle the parsley and serve the fillets at once directly from the baking dish.