Atlantic Smoked Salmon with Scallion Potato Rosti Recipe
No need to go out and spend money at an expensive seafood restaurant when you can make a 5-star smoked salmon in the comfort of your own home!
Total time: 30 minutes
- 10 ounces of high quality fresh smoked salmon, sliced thinly (or make your own!)
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 4 sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 piece star anise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Boil potatoes for 10 minutes or until a knife slides in but meets resistance in the middle.
- Grate potato on largest holes on box grater. Mix potato, scallion, butter, bacon and salt and pepper in bowl.
- Form into 4 patties about three inches in diameter and about ¼-inch thick.
- Heat oil in pan. Once hot, sear patties until golden brown and repeat on opposite side. Keep warm in oven.
- Heat oil for red onion relish in small pot. Add onions, sugar, red wine vinegar and star anise and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat stirring often.
- Once onions are nice and reduced and remaining liquid is a syrupy consistency, spread onto a dish to cool.
- Mix together grainy Dijon mustard and maple syrup in a bowl.
- For plating, place scallion rosti on middle of plate. Spoon a dollop of crème fraiche on top of rosti. Twist a 2.5-ounce portion of smoked salmon on top of crème fraiche to form a nice rosette with good height. Place a small spoonful of red onion relish on top of salmon, and top that with a sprig of fresh dill. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of maple Dijon syrup around plate. Serve.