May 30, 2018
By Nevada Foodies
Freshly ground antelope venison is mixed with mild chorizo and pan fried in a cast-iron skillet. For a one-of-a-kind venison burger, finish it off with a slice of Havarti cheese, caramelized sweet onions and a spicy thousand island sauce.
Yield: 5-6 burgers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound ground antelope venison burger
- ¼ pound chorizo sausage (mild, medium or hot)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices Havarti Cheese
- Tomato, sliced (optional)
- Hamburger buns or rolls
Caramelized Sweet Onions Ingredients:
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Sriracha Thousand Island Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup sweet relish or dill relish
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
1. Mix together ground antelope venison, chorizo, coriander, garlic powder and panko breadcrumbs. Shape into 5-6 hamburger patties. Let the meat rest for 15 minutes.
2. Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add onions. Sauté your onions until they become translucent. Add brown sugar, stir and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
3. Turn oven broiler to high.
4. Using the same cast-iron skillet, turn the heat up to medium-high and add 2 tablespoons butter. Place burgers in skillet and cook on each side for approximately 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat.
5. Top each antelope venison chorizo burger with a slice of Havarti cheese and some caramelized onions. Place cast-iron skillet under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven.
For more antelope recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com
Antelope Venison Chorizo Burgers Recipe (Photo courtesy of Nevada Foodies)