June 29, 2022
Jump to Recipe
Venison taco dip is a shareable appetizer that is super tasty and easy to make. Pair it with a big bowl of tortilla chips for dipping and you've got a winning starter to serve at your party.
Want to show patriotism for our country at your next outdoor gathering? Fly the United States flag and make this venison taco dip. The American flag symbolizes freedom and liberty, and when you display the flag, you show respect for everything it represents – our nation’s shared history, pride, principles, and commitment of its people.
While you don't need a reason or special occasion to fly the flag and make this venison taco dip, both are perfect for holidays such as Independence Day, Veterans Day, Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, and Flag Day celebrations.
This dip recipe has seven layers, but you can easily add in more layers or substitute any of the ingredients to your liking. You may add any (or all) of the following ingredients to take your dip to the next level: diced chiles, avocado or guacamole, green onions, bell peppers, lettuce, corn, or black beans.
How to Make This American Flag Venison Taco Dip Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 pound ground venison (or beef)
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 2 fresh jalapeños, sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) bag shredded cheese (Colby jack or blend of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Asadero cheeses)
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (16-ounce) container salsa or pico de Gallo.
- 1 (3.8-ounce) can sliced black olives
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground venison (or beef). Drain off fat if needed and return pan to heat. Mix in 3 tablespoons taco seasoning and 2/3 water. Let simmer for 5 minutes and then remove pan from heat. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and refried beans. Mix thoroughly.
- In a 9x13-inch glass dish, layer the ingredients in the following order: seasoned refried beans, browned ground meat, shredded cheese, jalapeño slices, sour cream, salsa, and olives.
Layer 1: First, add the seasoned refried beans evenly to the bottom of the dish.
Layer 2: Add the browned ground meat evenly over the beans.
Layer 3: Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the meat.
Layer 4: Evenly distribute the jalapeños over the cheese.
Layer 5: Next, add a layer of sour cream. Tip: Put sour cream in a zip-top bag and cut the corner off the bag. Pipe the sour cream in even rows over the ingredients and then use a spatula to spread evenly.
Layer 6: Carefully spoon the salsa (or pico de gallo) into thin rows to create the stripes on the flag. First, add the top, middle, and bottom stripes. Next, add two stripes evenly in between the top and middle stripe. Last, add two stripes evenly in between the middle and bottom stripe. This will give your flag dip 13 stripes (seven red salsa and 6 white sour cream) to represent the original 13 colonies. If you can’t get your salsa rows thin enough to make 13 stripes, don’t sweat it. Your dip will still be tasty.
Layer 7: In the top left corner of the dish, create a square (to represent the union) using the black olives. Fill in the square with more olives. No need to count exactly 50 olives (for the 50 stars/states), unless you want to go above and beyond with your dip!
- Cover and refrigerate dip until ready to serve. Dip is best served chilled.
- Serve chilled dip with tortilla chips. To make it extra festive, serve with blue corn tortilla chips.
Puffin Drinkwear Beverage Life Vest
Want to celebrate America in style? Dress your 12-ounce canned beverages in a life vest from Puffin Drinkwear. The vest will not only keep your drink chill, but also looking fabulous! Puffin's Beverage Life Vests are double-insulated and float. They are perfect for a day at the lake, river, pool, or ocean!
To get your own Beverage Life Vest, visit: puffindrinkwear.com