The sticky, salty and sweet yakitori sauce glazes and browns the duck, creating a nice exterior texture before the interior becomes overcooked
By: Jesse Griffiths
This traditional yakitori sauce is great on duck breasts. You can also try it with pieces of turkey breast or whole doves.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Pickled radish
- 4 boneless duck breasts, about 1 to 1 ½ pounds
- 1 cup mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 green onions, green part thinly sliced, white part cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
2. If the duck has skin, remove it with sharp knife and cut the duck into 1-inch cubes.
3. In a saucepan over high heat, boil the mirin, soy sauce, sugar, honey and garlic until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside half of the sauce for serving.
4. Start a medium fire or preheat a grill. Toss the cubed breast meat in the oil. Thread the duck breast cubes, alternating with the white parts of the onions, onto eight skewers.
5. Grill on one side for about 5 minutes, then turn, basting with the sauce. Continue grilling and basting until browned and the meat is firm but still a little pink inside, about 12 minutes total.
6. Discard any leftover basting sauce. Serve the duck with rice, green onions, pickled radishes, and the reserved sauce on the side.
About Jesse Griffiths
As one of author and chef Jesse Griffiths’ favorite activities, duck hunting makes for an enjoyable past time and produces a difficult challenge in the kitchen.
In his new book, Afield: A Chef’s Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish, Griffiths takes on the culinary duck test, revealing mouth-watering ways to present what can oftentimes be a difficult meat to cook.
With instructions on how to pluck and butcher ducks in his book, Griffiths also features several succulent recipes for waterfowl, including duck yakitori. Residing in Austin, Texas, Griffiths teaches classes on hunting and cooking through his organization, Dai Due.
You can find more recipes like this one in his new book, Afield, which was recently released.