Washington DFW Announces Extended Season
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has extended the season for persons with disabilities to fish at the ADA-Accessible Fishing Area at the Bingham Creek Hatchery. This opportunity is limited to persons with disabilities who permanently use a wheelchair, have a reduced fee license and/or who have a designated harvester card.
The extension runs from March 16 to March 31, 2011, and includes the following:
- All Species: Night closure and single point barbless hooks required.
- Trout: March 16 - March 31. Minimum size 14". Daily limit 2 hatchery fish.
- Other Game Fish: March 16 - March 31. Statewide min. size/daily limit.
The species affected include hatchery steelhead trout, and other game fish, from Bingham Creek Hatchery barrier dam on the East Fork Satsop River downstream 400 feet.
The reason for this action is that a sufficient surplus of hatchery fish exists to provide opportunity for an ADA-only sport fishery.
Other important information is as follows:
- Anglers and/or harvesters must follow all applicable fishing regulations for Satsop River.
- Persons with disabilities who permanently use a wheelchair and/or who have a designated harvester card under WAC 220-55-065may fish from the ADA-accessible site at the Bingham Creek Hatchery, provided such persons follow all applicable rules and regulations.
- Designated harvesters may fish from the ADA-accessible site with persons with disabilities who permanently use a wheelchair and/or who have a designated harvester card, if room allows. However, persons with disabilities who permanently use a wheelchair have priority over others if the ADA-accessible site becomes overcrowded.
For more information, contact Charmane Ashbrook, (360) 249-1205 or Barbara McClellan (360) 249-1213.
Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license. Check the current WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet or the Fishing section of the WDFW webpage at //wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ for details on fishing seasons and regulations.