Here are some exceptional turkey hunting gear choices that can bring confidence and reliability to your hunt.
I'm a gear junkie. I'm happy to admit that, even on a public forum.
I like to have the latest and greatest pieces of hunting and fishing equipment guaranteed to help me catch more fish, or shoot more deer and turkeys â€¦
If only such a product actually existed. (Sighs heavily)
What I have learned in my lifetime, however, is that spending a little extra money on quality will eliminate the need to keep replacing broken or defective pieces of equipment.
Nothing is more frustrating than spending hard-earned money on something only to have it break during the first or second time out of the vest.
The following list includes exceptional gear that will not only make you more productive in the spring turkey woods, but you can have confidence in the quality.
Nomad Turkey Vest, $129.99
I've had multiple turkey vests over the years, and when the time came to upgrade, I knew exactly what I wanted. The Meleagris gallopavo (Mg) vest fit the bill exactly. In fact, this is the best turkey vest I've ever seen or used. I love the many strap adjustments that are within an arm's reach, you can make it fit no matter how many layers you have on.
Along with a ton of storage, the vest also features:
- Padded, reinforced shoulder straps with a chest harness
- Triple mesh panel removable back cushioning for extra comfort and breathability
- Multiple internal pockets
- External and silent box call sheath
- ThermaCell storage pocket (Genius idea)
- Removable 3-inch thick seat complete with magnetic and buckle connections.
- Available in three camo patterns
Look, this vest isn't cheap, but if the quality Nomad is already known for is any indication, I'm confident you'll be happy with it — even if it costs a little bit more. Plus, it's on sale right now for $97.49 via the company's website.
ThermaCell MR450 Repeller, $34.99
Nomad made a stellar decision to include a ThermaCell pocket on the outside of their vests. Springtime bugs can be insane, and they've been known to ruin a perfectly good hunt prematurely.
Honestly, I was skeptic before I used one of these things. But now I don't hit the turkey woods without it.
Staying comfortable will keep you hunting longer, and that means more chances at a nice bird.
These things are very efficient, and even easier to use:
- Effectively repels mosquitoes and other biting insects by creating a 15- by 15-foot zone of protection
- Tough, rugged design was created with the dedicated outdoorsman in mind
- Evaluated by the EPA for safety and effectiveness
- ZoneCheck indicator tells the user when it's at max efficiency
- Silent, no open flame and odor free
- Uses ThermaCell butane cartridge refills
- Uses repellant mats that last four hours each
Bugs suck, literally. And they are typically at their angriest during the spring when the turkeys are gobbling the hardest. This is one of those luxury accessories that you'll get plenty of good use out of. The bugs will fear you.
Cabela's Hunting Lounger, $29.99
We just talked about bug-free comfort, but how about comfort for your keister? I could give countless examples of when patience killed a bird over calling and decoys.
Patience means sitting it out for an extended period of time, and this ultra-mobile and very comfortable fold-up chair fits the bill. But it isn't just for long sits.
It quickly and silently deploys and folds back up in a snap, making it a perfect tool for the run-and-gunner, too. I won't go to the woods without it anymore.
- The chair comes standard with a shoulder sling that easily fits alongside your shotgun.
- Consists of tough 600-denier polyester for extended durability
- Breathable mono-mesh seat increases ventilation and keeps you dry and comfortable
- 16mm and 22mm powder-coated rigid steel frame
- A small clip snaps the legs together when folded up to keep it from expanding during transit
You can kill a turkey without this chair. But, if you've got back issues like I do, this will save you a tremendous amount of pain. It's an extra thing to take with you, and creates a little more bulk than what we've discussed so far, but the comfort is worth it. Period.
Burris Droptine Binocular 8x42, $299
As you're stalking through the turkey woods hoping to strike a bird, keeping an eye on the next hilltop could mean the difference between killing a bird and running one off. Quality glass is irreplaceable. I carry Burris binocs and I can't say enough about how much I love them. Not only do they look fantastic, they are clear and comfortable to look through.
The 8x magnification provides detail and a wide field-of-view.
- Robust metal eyecups for unusual ruggedness
- Nitrogen filled for waterproof and fog-proof performance, even in harsh weather
- Rubber armored with unique no-slip texturing
- Bak-4 glass for optimum resolution
- Dielectric coated for maximum light transmission
Whether you spend your free time in the fall deer stand, or during the spring chasing turkeys, extended vision is critical to staying stealthy. Knowing what's out there before you get there will make you more effective in the woods. I've gone through many pairs of name-brand binocs, and these are by far my favorite. And they're very affordable.
Hunters Specialties All-Terrain Decoy Stand, $9.99
I swear the stakes that most, if not all, decoys come with are insufficient. They bend; they break; they take the lifelikeness out of a decoy's posture — until now.
The All-Terrain Decoy Stand puts posture control back into the hunter's hands with a simple, easy and very portable solution. In fact, I've replaced every stake I have with these things.
The only time one got destroyed was during a turkey in Iowa last year when the decoy was viciously attacked. Watch here.
Bring your decoys to life.
- Designed to fit most decoys
- Bungee cord system opens and folds down quickly, which is much like a modern tent pole
- Stows easily, deploys in seconds.
- Allows decoy to move naturally when the wind adds motion
- Durable, rugged and reliable
If you rely heavily on your turkey decoys to add a visual component for an approaching turkey, these stakes will only take your game to the next level. Plus for only $10 bucks, you can't go wrong.
Wicked Handsaw and Pruners, $34.99 and $24.99
If you love to chase turkeys run-and-gun style or from a blind, being able to quickly and quietly trim obstructing brush is essential to making the right shot when it presents itself. Wicked changed the game when they built rock-solid handsaws and pruners that are very rugged and dependable.
The saw features:
- Rugged cast aluminum handle construction — good luck breaking it
- High-carbon steel blade resists bending and breaking
- Fail Safe Lock Design with hardened steel lock-pin and hardware
- No plastic
- Lifetime warranty
The pruners feature:
- Ergonomically friendly grip that won't pinch your hand
- Sturdy jaws that can cut up to 1-inch diameter branches
- Effective locking feature that keeps jaws closed during transport
- Solid aluminum frame that will stand up to daily use and abuse
- Lifetime warranty
I can't tell you how many saws and pruners I've broken over the years. Even the expensive types you can buy at the local hardware store just won't stand up to the abuse a hunter puts them through. It's been a frustrating piece of gear to own, until now. Look, these things are not cheap, but they are worth every penny and won't let you down. I don't go turkey hunting, or deer hunting for that matter, without these in my pack.
More Spring Turkey Hunting Tips
[bookyourhunt species="Turkey" title="Book Your Turkey Hunt"]