Tight Race Ends in Tie on Lake Norman
Boaters Keith Kirby of Gaffney, S.C., and David Williams of Maiden, N.C., each caught a five-bass limit weighing 16 pounds, 12 ounces to tie for the win on Feb. 26 at the BFL North Carolina Division tournament on Lake Norman. Both boaters won $3,849 for their efforts.
Rounding out the remaining top 10 boaters:
- 3rd: Matt Haywood, Lincolnton, N.C., five bass, 15, $2,710 (*Includes $1,000 Evinrude bonus)
- 4th: Kevin Toler, Statesville, N.C., five bass, 14-12, $1,198
- 5th: Cliff Kirby, Catawba, N.C., five bass, 13-9, $1,027
- 6th: Doug Young, Salisbury, N.C., five bass, 13-8, $941
- 7th: Shane Lehew, Charlotte, N.C., five bass, 12-11, $855
- 8th: Brian Morgan, Newton, N.C., five bass, 12-7, $770
- 9th: Artie Phillips, Monroe, N.C., five bass, 12-6, $684
- 10th: Todd Walters, Kernersville, N.C., five bass, 12, $599
John Carroll of Woodlawn, Va., caught a five-bass limit weighing 10 pounds, 13 ounces to win $2,566 in the Co-angler Division.
Rounding out the remaining top 10 co-anglers:
- 2nd: Orlando Giles, Lexington, N.C., five bass, 10-6, $1,069
- 2nd: David Snearly, Fort Mill, S.C., five bass, 10-6, $1,069
- 4th: Rob Sledzewski, Gastonia, N.C., five bass, 10-4, $599
- 5th: Duane Rinkus, Denver, N.C., five bass, 9-13, $513
- 6th: Donnie Woody, Marion, N.C., five bass, 9-4, $471
- 7th: Tommy Swicegood, Salisbury, N.C., four bass, 8-11, $428
- 8th: Paul Brittain, Icard, N.C., five bass, 8-10, $385
- 9th: Travis Ruff, Connelly Springs, N.C., four bass, 8-8, $342
- 10th: Bryan New, Belmont, N.C., five bass, 8-6, $299
The next BFL North Carolina Division tournament is scheduled for April 16 on Lake Wylie in Lake Wylie, S.C. After the fifth North Carolina Division tournament is complete, the top 40 boaters and 40 co-anglers based on point standings will qualify for the Nov. 3-5 Regional Championship on Lake Hartwell in Anderson, S.C. Boaters will compete for a top award of a Ranger 198VX with a 200-horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard and a Chevy pick-up, while co-anglers will fish for a new Ranger 198VX.