Stenglein and Goodwin Win FLW Soldier Appreciation Tournament
Staff Sgt. Lloyd Stenglein of Flagstaff, Ariz., and Pfc. Reno Goodwin of Flagstaff, Ariz., won the National Guard FLW Soldier Appreciation Tournament held on Lake Roosevelt Saturday. The team, fishing with National Guard pro Brett Hite of Phoenix, Ariz., caught a five bass limit for a total of 14 pounds, 1 ounce to take the title and bragging rights amongst their peers.
"The most important thing for us was good guidance and Brett's experience and know-how on the lake," said Staff Sgt. Stenglein. "It takes a lot of motivation to continue casting even if you're not catching fish right away. Also, it takes a lot of teamwork out there."
"I learned that I am extremely good at catching trees," said Pfc. Goodwin. "I really enjoyed the day. It was a lot of fun being out there with a pro like Brett."
Each of the participants in the National Guard FLW Soldier Appreciation Tournament are members of the Arizona National Guard and most have had at least one tour of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan.In this tournament, Walmart FLW Tour pro anglers took teams of two, which consist of members of the National Guard, fishing to compete amongst their peers. Each team was allowed to bring in three bass. FLW Outdoors is operating the tournaments in conjunction with the National Guard to show appreciation to our service members of the National Guard.
"We finally get to give back to these guys who make bass fishing possible for us by serving all over the world and protecting our freedom," said National Guard pro Brett Hite. "The biggest thing in a tournament like this is to catch some fish, have a good time and keep the morale up. It's supposed to be a fun day, so if we catch a fish once in a while to keep these guys interested, that's really what it's all about."
A total of 18 service men and women, nine teams, participated in the tournament. Rounding out the teams was:
- 2nd: Capt. John Gehring, Chandler, Ariz., and Capt. Brian Dudley, Gilbert, Ariz., fishing with pro Eric Parra, 12
- 3rd: Sgt. 1st Class Douglas Rowe, Prescott, Ariz., and Sgt. 1st Class Devon Anderson, fishing with pro Fred Lewis, 10-6
- 4th: Staff Sgt. James Lawton, Phoenix, Ariz., and Sgt. Elizabeth Lawton, Phoenix, Ariz., fishing with pro Roy Hawk, 10-4
- 5th: Maj. James Oloffson and Staff Sgt Robert Goyer, fishing with pro Mike Lavalle, 8-11
- 6th: Pfc. Oscar Parra, Tucson, Ariz., and Sgt. 1st Class. Darrell Chrisman, Tucson, Ariz., fishing with pro Greg Haitleberg, 7-15
- 7th: Sgt. 1st Class Robert Dyer, Sholow, Ariz., and Sgt. 1st Class Mark Luna, Phoenix, Ariz., fishing with National Guard pro Jonathan Walker, 7-1
- 8th: Sgt. 1st Class Lonnie Osborne, Phoenix, Ariz., and Sgt. 1st Class Barton Sickler, Flagstaff, Ariz., fishing with pro Larry Wise, 3-3
- 9th: Spc. Shawn Wagner, Phoenix, Ariz., and Staff Sgt. EvanMartin, Sholow, Ariz., fishing with Don McBride, 1-6
The Soldier Appreciation Tournament was held in conjunction with the EverStart Series on Lake Roosevelt.