Quick and Easy Catfish Veracruz Recipe
This super quick and easy recipe for Catfish Veracruz is low carb, keto friendly and packed with amazing, spicy south-of-the-border flavor
This Catfish Veracruz Recipe may have simple ingredients, but the flavors are out of this world! Fresh, bright, south-of-the-border flavors complement the fresh catfish perfectly. Low carb, keto friendly, gluten free and amazingly delicious, this is a one-pan meal that could easily entertain and will delight the whole family.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds catfish fillets (2 large fillets or 4 small)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely-diced jalapeño
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup water or chicken stock
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Garnish: Fresh lime and chopped cilantro
- Pat the catfish fillets dry with paper towels and season lightly with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder on both sides.
- Preheat a large heavy skillet or cast-iron pan with 1 ½ tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the fillets to the preheated pan and cook about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove fillets from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter, onions, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pan and sauté until the onion is translucent, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the next seven ingredients and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the water or stock and fish back to the pan and simmer 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the catfish is just cooked through.
- Garnish Catfish Veracruz with chopped cilantro, fresh lime and serve.