Northern Pike Fish & Chips Recipe (Gluten Free!)
Fall time means great northern pike fishing. Next time you get out and hook into a nice-sized gator, and decide to keep it, give this unique but delicious recipe a try!
I made this recipe gluten free for all those people out there who love the nice crunchy texture of a good fish & chip batter but may have dietary restraints with flour. The rice flour and gluten beer make for an awesome tasting batter with a great crunch! Hope you enjoy!
For Fish & Chips:
- 2x 6oz Northern Pike fillets (boneless/skinless)
- 1 large Russet potato (cut into wedges)
- 2 liters canola oil (for frying)
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup rice flour for dredging
For Tartar Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. capers (chopped)
- 1 ½ tbsp. gherkins (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. tarragon(chopped)
- 1 tbsp. dill (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp. honey Dijon mustard
- coarse black pepper and salt (to taste)
For Gluten Free Batter:
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 bottle gluten free beer
- 3 ice cubes
- coarse black pepper (to taste)
- water (to adjust batter consistency)
- Mix gherkins, capers, mayo, tarragon, dill, cider vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Refrigerate.
- In a medium mixing bowl add rice flour, baking powder, pepper. Slowly whisk in gluten free beer and whisk until smooth. Adjust consistency with water if batter is too thick. If too thin, whisk in more rice flour.
- Heat oil to 320 degrees F. Add potato wedges and fry for 7-10 mins. You do not want them cooked all the way through. Pull them out and set on a paper towel to cool.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees F.
- Dredge pike portions in rice flour. Dip into batter and allow excess to drip off. Carefully lower battered pike into the hot oil.
- Cook pike until golden brown on all sides and the bubbling has slowed.
- Remove from oil and let drain on paper towel.
- Add par-cooked potato wedges into the 370 degree F oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Remove from oil and place into a bowl lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Toss with kosher salt and coarse black pepper.
- To plate the fish & chips, put down some crumpled newspaper in a basket and mound some wedge fries in the middle. Place the battered fish on top and serve with a ramekin of the tartar sauce. Garnish with a lemon wedge and some tarragon leaves on top
Well there you have my take on northern pike fish & chips!
Be sure to catch this recipe and many more Saturday's @ 4:00pm and Sunday's @ 1:00pm on Rogers 22 Ottawa!