Maine Maple Wild Turkey Breast Recipe
This Maine Maple Wild Turkey Recipe uses some of the best ingredients Maine has to offer
Prep time: 2-3 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 wild turkey breast (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 16 ounces favorite cola (not diet cola)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Aluminum foil
1. Preheat barbecue grill to 350 degrees for indirect heating.
2. Place the breast in a flat bowl or pan and pour cola over the breast and marinate for a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 2 hours, turning breast over frequently. Remove it from marinade and drain slightly.
3. Make a reduction sauce by combining the apple cider and maple syrup in a saucepan and cooking over medium-high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
4. On direct heat side of the grill, sear the breast just until it has grill marks on each side, about 2 minutes maximum. Remove and place in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil. Pour the reserved marinade over the turkey breast. Season with dried oregano, lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Fold the foil until all edges are securely sealed.
5. Place the turkey breast on the unheated side of the grill and cook for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 140 degrees. Remove turkey from barbecue and let sit, still sealed in foil, for 10 minutes, allowing the temperature to rise to 160-170 degrees.
6. Carefully open foil package, remove breast, and slice. Then, pour juice over the meat.