How to Fillet Sea Bass
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to fillet a sea bass.
- Scale the fish, using a knife or, ideally, a fish scaler. The best way to approach this is to run the tool along the fish's body against the grain in long, hard strokes.
- Next, take a sharp knife and cut around the outline of the fillet, primarily using the tip of the knife. Make only a shallow cut - just enough to get underneath the skin.
- Peel the skin back, using either your hand or a pair of pliers.
- Using a fillet knife, start at the top of the fish and work your way down, slowly and carefully cutting the fillet from the bone. Be especially careful around the ribs.
- Once the fillet has been cut from the body, rinse it before any cooking preparation. If you don't plan on cooking it right away, it should immediately be put on ice or refrigerated.