Hot Smoked Lake Trout Recipe
Hard water is here! Get out there and pull some lakers out of the ice and try this tasty recipe! A short, hot smoke keeps this delicious fish tender and moist while absorbing that delicious smokey flavor. With a super easy side dish, that cooks right in the smoker with the lake trout, this recipe is easy to execute and even easier to clean up after!
- 2 x 6oz Lake trout fillets (boneless skin-on) Hot smoked with dry rub
- Fingerling Potatoes in foil pack
- small bunch of micro shoots (any kind, for garnish)
For spice rub
For potato foil packs
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. onion powder
- ½ tbsp. oregano
- ½ tbsp. black pepper
- ½ tbsp. kosher salt - 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 fingerling potatoes (cut in half lengthwise)
- ½ red onion (sliced thinly)
- 10 kalamata olives (cut in half)
- 4 garlic gloves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- whole Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat smoker to 300 degrees F and add apple wood chips.
- In a bowl, toss fingerling potatoes, red onion, olives, garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Place mixture into 2 equal sized tinfoil squares and fold in corner to create a closed pouch.
- Load potato foil pouches into smoker on top rack and smoke for 45 mins
- Season lake trout fillets with spice rub
- Place lake trout fillets on middle rack half way through potato pack cook time.
- Hot smoke for 25 mins.
- To plate this dish pull out fingerling potato pack and empty into middle of plate. Peel off skin of smoked trout and discard. Place lake trout filet on top of the potatoes and garnish with a few micro shoots for color.
Catch this recipe and many more on Rogers 22 in Eastern Ontario, "Catch 2 Kitchen", Sundays at 1pm.