October 05, 2020
By Bruce Ingram
Prep time: 20 minutes + marinating time
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 3 deer hearts
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh whole mushrooms
- Onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Red, yellow, orange or green bell pepper cut into 1-inch squares
- Prepare marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Pour marinade into two shallow bowls.
- Cut venison hearts into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes into one bowl of marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours. Place cut vegetables into second bowl of marinade. Allow contents to marinate an hour or so.
- After marinating, place heart cubes and vegetables on separate skewers. With grill on high, begin cooking vegetable skewers. Allow about 8 minutes per side. When vegetables are close to desired doneness and mushrooms have begun giving up their moisture, place heart skewers on grill for approximately 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove all skewers and put on serving plate. Allow them to rest about 5 minutes before serving. They go great over rice.