Spicy Fish Masala Recipe
One of my favorite ways to eat fish is called spicy fish masala. There are various recipes but this is a simple one.
Putting it all together
- Fish Fillets (I used King Fish for this recipe) - 8 curry sized pieces
- Cinnamon Sticks (Patta) - 1 inch piece
- Crushed Cardamom (Elakka) - 2
- Fennel Seeds (Perum Jeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves (Grambu) - 4
- Star Anise (Thakkolam) - 1
- Sliced Onion - 1 big
- Green Chillies - 3
- Dry Red Chillies - 4
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder -1 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Fish Masala Powder - 2 tsp ( I used store bought Eastern Fish Masala brand)
- Tamarind (Vaallan Puli) - small gooseberry sized ball
- Any Tomato Sauce - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Water - as needed
- Clean the fish thoroughly and soak it in water along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tbsp lemon juice for 5 minutes.
- Wash and drain the fillets. Keep aside.
- Grind the onions roughly into a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Grind ginger, garlic, red chillies and green chillies to a coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, cardamom and fennel seeds and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the onion paste and saute till it begins to brown lightly.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilly paste and saute for a few more minutes.
- Reduce heat and add fish masala powder, red chilly powder and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Soak tamarind in half cup of warm water and extract the juice.
- Add the tamarind juice and tomato sauce to the pan along with salt to taste.
- Add 1 more cup of water and bring the gravy to a slow boil.
- When the gravy starts boiling, reduce heat to medium and add the fish fillets. Cover the fillets with the gravy.
- Cover and cook the fish for around 15-18 minutes swirling the pan occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for a few more minutes so that the masala gravy becomes thick and coats on the fish.
Tomato free recipe for those who are allergic to tomatoes. Enjoy! TBH "The Bass Hog" www.thebasshog.com