Elk Venison, Sausage and Bean Casserole Recipe
This hearty Elk Venison, Sausage and Bean Casserole Recipe is the perfect comfort food for those chilly winter evenings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5-6 hours
- 2 pounds elk venison, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound mild pork sausage links (5-6 links)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Heat a Dutch oven or heavy stock pot over medium heat and add oil.
Toss in some thyme to this delicious recipe for that added dry, minty flavor. (Nevada Foodies photo)
3. Working in batches, brown the cubed elk venison meat. Remove meat and set aside when done. Add the sausage links and brown on all sides. While cooking the sausage links, add the onions and garlic, being sure to stir often. Carefully add remaining ingredients to the pot along with the braised elk venison meat. Cover with a lid and bake for 5 to 6 hours.
4. Serve each bowl with toasted homemade croutons, sliced French bread and a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.
For that maximum tenderness, add in a teaspoon of kosher salt. (Nevada Foodies photo)
For more elk and venison recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com.