October 07, 2016
By Raschell Rule
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pound ground elk meat
- ½ teaspoon homemade garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon homemade onion powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices of bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
- Green onion, chopped for garnish
1. Cook potatoes in water until tender. Mash with the milk and butter; cover and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a large casserole dish with vegetable spray.
3. In a skillet, saute the onion and mushrooms together with the meat, garlic and onion powder.
4. Cook meat until browned. Drain skillet well and place on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and spread out to sides (so it is sealed).
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with the shredded cheese and bacon. Bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. Serve with warm homemade bread and a salad.
For more elk recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.