August 24, 2016
- 1 pound catfish, cut into one-inch pieces
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cubes low-sodium beef bullion
- 2 (16-ounce) cans low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to your liking)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
In a large pot, with a small amount of oil, sauté celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic until almost tender. Add water and bring to a boil. Add bullion and let dissolve then add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT fish, rice and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add fish, rice and hot pepper sauce (if using), cover and simmer for 15 minutes more until fish is cooked through and flaky. Remove bay leaf and enjoy.
Serves about 6 people.