December 10, 2012
Permitted use provided by: MissHomemade.com
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounce (1/2 package) cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup half-and-half (or evaporated milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon homemade garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon homemade onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with vegetable oil; set aside.
Place chopped broccoli in a microwave safe bowl and put 1/4 cup water in the bowl. Steam the broccoli in the microwave on high for two to three minutes until tender and firm (not soft). Drain well and pat dry.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour; stirring for one minute. Lower the heat to low and add the cream cheese, blue cheese, garlic and onion powder and half-and-half. Stir until melted and smooth.
In a bowl, mix the cracker crumbs with the melted butter and add one cup to the broccoli mixture. Place in the prepared casserole dish. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture. Bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.
NOTE: You may use any type of cheese you wish. Velveeta or cheddar works well too.
This is a wonderful side dish that will become a favorite for years to come.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below using Facebook!