Rick Browne shows you how to cook beer-battered bass in Texas. This delicious bass recipe is then served over a bed of homemade coleslaw.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 4-6 bass fillets
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup flat beer
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cole slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Whisk ⅓ cup flour, salt, and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
2. Whisk in beer. Add enough oil to heavy large skillet to reach depth of ½ inch. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
3. Place remaining 2 tablespoons flour on plate. Coat fish with the flour. Dip the fillets in the batter, letting the excess drip off.
4. Fry fish until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
5. Drain fish on paper towels.
6. Toss coleslaw mix, vinegar, honey, and 1 tablespoon oil in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Divide between plates. Place fish atop coleslaw.