September 15, 2020
To make this Beef Jerky Chili Recipe, just combine and heat, and tell people you’ve been sitting all day at camp, slaving over a pot of beans. Or at least it’ll taste like you did!
You can use any beans you like, but if you’re not looking to haul in your whole pantry of spices, Mrs. Grimes Original Chili Beans in Chili Sauce is a great option. Seasoned just right, I found that I didn’t have to add anything to the chili afterward.
For jerky, I recommend using a sweeter variety to help balance out the heat in the chili and add depth. Old Trapper’s traditional Old Fashioned flavor has a hint of sweetness from brown sugar and is a little smoky, making it the perfect beef jerky to use in this chili recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 (40-ounce) can Mrs. Grimes Original Chili Beans in Chili Sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro-Tel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 4 ounces of Old Trapper Old Fashioned Beef Jerky, cut or ripped into small pieces
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Water or unsalted beef broth (optional)
- Unsalted/low sodium crackers, bread or corn bread for serving
- Combine canned beans (with liquid), Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies, and Old Trapper beef jerky in a pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on low, covered, for about 30-40 minutes or until jerky becomes tender. Stir often to prevent the bottom from scorching.
- Add water or unsalted broth to thin out the chili if desired.
- Season with hot sauce to taste, if you wish.
- Serve with bread, crackers or cornbread.