September 15, 2020
Enjoy this classic Midwestern dish while in the backcountry: beef jerky simmered until tender and served with creamy egg noodles. None of these ingredients require refrigeration.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 cups Old Trapper Old Fashioned Beef Jerky, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 quarts unsalted beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound uncooked wide egg noodles
- ½ to 1 cup canned evaporated milk
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- In a pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add jerky and onion, and sauté until onion turns translucent – about 5 to 7 minutes. Add unsalted beef stock and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Add egg noodles to the pot; noodles should be mostly submerged, and if not, add water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until noodles become tender and most of the stock has been absorbed, stirring occasionally and gently. Do not allow to scorch.
- Mix in evaporated milk to taste. Simmer uncovered for a few minutes until thickened. Season with freshly cracked pepper.