Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Brussels Sprouts Ingredients:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- ¼ pound bacon, diced
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Rainbow Trout Ingredients:
- 2 rainbow trout fillets, about 1 pound each
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Almond Brown Butter Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
- ½ lemon
- Rinse Brussels sprouts with cold water. Peel and discard outer layers, slice in half. Prepare a pot of ice water to shock Brussels sprouts after cooking.
- Boil 3 quarts of water, then simmer. Place Brussels sprouts into simmering water and cook until they are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from pot and place in an ice bath to cool. When cool, drain them in a colander. Set aside.
- Place bacon in a cast-iron skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp. Add shitake mushrooms and sliced onion; cook while stirring for 5-6 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until heated throughout. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to high.
- Drizzle trout with olive oil; season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place trout on a roasting pan. Top with lemon slices and fresh thyme. Bake trout for 10-15 minutes or until flesh looks opaque.
- While the trout is baking, prepare almond brown butter by heating a skillet over medium-high heat. Slice butter and place in pan. Swirl the pan until it begins to brown and foam, about 2-3 minutes. Squeeze lemon into the butter and add the almonds.
- Spoon Brussels sprouts onto a serving dish. Place trout on top. Drizzle both with almond brown butter. Serve.