Make this tasty, creamy chowder recipe with smoked haddock or your favorite smoked fish
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 small smoked fish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups half and half
- Dash of Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons of Lea and Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce
1. Place smoked fish on a couple layers of old newspaper. With a knife, cut down the back side to remove the top fillet and set aside.
2. Remove the head along with the backbone and tail. Set aside. Slice both fillets and reserve for garnish.
3. Heat a 3- or 4-quart sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, garlic and onions and cook for about three minutes.
4. Pour in wine and reduce heat by half. Add potatoes, smoked fish backbone and head, thyme, cream and half and half; bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly until potatoes are soft.
5. Remove smoked fish bones and thyme springs, then puree with an immersion blender. Strain through a mesh strainer. Season soup with salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Serve hot or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.