A unique twist on a traditional pot pie, this pheasant and green chili pot pie recipe is destined to satisfy
By: Chef Tom Minchella
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium poblano pepper chopped
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless pheasant breast, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1. Heat a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, chilies, peppers and celery. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring.
2. Add the diced pheasant and cook until completely cooked, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth, cream and spices. Bring the chili to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Pastry Top Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and place on the counter. While frozen cut out 1-inch rounds with a cookie cutter.
3. Brush the tops with a mixture of 1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk.
4. Place the chili in a casserole dish and top with the puff pastry rounds. Place the chili pot pie in the preheated oven and turn down the heat to 350 degrees.
5. Cook the chili for 15 minutes or until the puff pastry rises and turns golden. Serve.