Free up your freezer space with this one-pot venison recipe, the perfect comfort food for a chilly day
By: Scott & Tiffany Haugen
Scott and Tiffany Haugen, authors of Cooking Big Game, give you a venison chili recipe to keep you warm all winter long.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound venison, ground or small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a heavy stew pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Sauté venison, onions and garlic on medium-high heat until meat is browned.
2. Add spices and continue to brown to release and toast the spices. Add tomato paste and continue to brown 1-2 minutes.
3. Add water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer at least 20 minutes. Add black beans and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
4. Garnish with sour cream, avocado and cheddar cheese, if desired.
To cook in a slow cooker, sauté ingredients as directed. Then add meat mixture, water, broth and beans to the slow cooker. Simmer on low 1-3 hours.