This Balsamic Roast Quail with Sage Chestnut Stuffing Recipe is the perfect recipe for a festive, fancy feast this season
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- ½ pound fresh chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 6 slices stale bread, broken into pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 fresh quail
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a sharp knife cut an “X” on the flat side of the chestnuts. Place chestnuts on a cookie sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes or until chestnuts open up. Cool chestnuts and then peel and remove the skin. Chop chestnuts and set aside.
2. Heat butter in a medium sauté pan. Add garlic, onions and celery; cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. With a spatula, fold in the bread, chestnuts and chicken broth.
3. Season chestnut mixture with fresh sage, salt and black pepper. Set mixture aside to cool.
4. Adjust oven to 425 degrees. Rinse quail under cold water and pat dry.
5. Rub inside and outside of quail with olive oil. Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
6. Use a spoon to fill each quail with the cooled stuffing. With a 10-inch piece of butcher’s twine, truss the quail the same way as a chicken. Brush quail with balsamic vinegar.
7. Place stuffed quail on a roasting pan and roast in oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove roast quail and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.