This baked rainbow trout would be good by itself, but adding Brussels sprouts and bacon makes it that much better
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Brussels Sprouts Ingredients:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- ¼ pound bacon, diced
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Rainbow Trout Ingredients:
- 2 rainbow trout fillets, about 1 pound each
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Almond Brown Butter Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
- ½ lemon
1. Rinse Brussels sprouts with cold water. Peel and discard outer layers, slice in half. Prepare a pot of ice water to shock Brussels sprouts after cooking.
2. Boil 3 quarts of water, then simmer. Place Brussels sprouts into simmering water and cook until they are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from pot and place in ice bath to cool. When cool, drain them in a colander. Set aside.
3. Place bacon in a cast iron skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp. Add shitake mushrooms and sliced onion; cook while stirring for 5-6 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until heated throughout. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
4. Preheat oven to high.
5. Drizzle trout with olive oil; season inside and out with salt and pepper.
6. Place trout on a roasting pan. Top with lemon slices and fresh thyme. Bake trout for 10-15 minutes or until flesh looks opaque.
7. While the trout is baking, prepare almond brown butter by heating a skillet over medium high heat. Slice butter and place in pan. Swirl the pan until it begins to brown and foam, about 2-3 minutes. Squeeze lemon into the butter and add the almonds.
8. Spoon Brussels sprouts onto a serving dish. Place trout on top. Drizzle both with almond brown butter. Serve.