Washington Lakes Prep For Jumbo Trout
Rainbow TroutEric Engbretson/USFWS
Five lakes in Southwest Washington will be closing on Nov. 21, and reopening four days later on Nov. 25, to allow time to stock jumbo rainbow trout.
The fishing closure, and the ensuing stocking of trout, begins at 12:01 AM Monday, Nov. 21 on the following lakes:
- Fort Borst Park Pond, near Centrailia in Lewis County (1,200 trout).
- South Lewis County Park Pond, near Toledo in Lewis County (1,200 trout).
- Kress Lake, near Kalama in Cowlitz County (1,000 trout).
- Battleground Lake, located at Battleground State Park in Clark County (2,500 trout).
- Rowland Lake, east of Bingen in Klickitat County (1,700 trout).
The main reason for the clousre is to not only allow time for the fish to be planted, but also for fish to be acclimated to their new environments. The new trout should average over a pound each.
With the stocked jumbo trout, anglers in these communities will have quality trout fishing opportunities during the Thanksgiving weekend. The opener allows anglers to plan their trip to these lakes and equal access to these fish on the day of the opener.
For more news on fishing regulations, click here.