Venison and Snow Goose Meatball Sub Sandwich Recipe
April 23, 2018
The venison and snow goose meatballs add a wild game twist to the traditional meatball sub recipe
It’s hard to turn down a good meatball sandwich. This wild game version is made with a mixture of venison, snow goose and classic Italian spices and herbs. Toasted in a soft hoagie bun with tangy marinara, fresh mozzarella and aged Parmesan cheese, this meatball sandwich has Subway beat. If you make a big batch of meatballs, serve the rest over pasta noodles.
Serves: 8 meatballs (2-4 sandwiches)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- ½ pound ground venison
- ½ pound ground snow geese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh
- Sub sandwich rolls
1. Mix together ground venison, ground goose, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of parsley, egg, salt, basil, oregano, thyme and cracked pepper.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Form meat into balls and brown on all sides in the oil. Do not crowd the pan and brown in batches if necessary. Add marinara sauce to the pot with the meatballs. Simmer sauce and allow the meatballs to cook through for 10 minutes.
3. Toast sub rolls beforehand, and then fill with meatballs, marinara sauce, sliced mozzarella and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Toast sub again to allow cheese to melt. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, cracked pepper and serve.