Striped Bass en Papillote Recipe
Wrapping and baking striped bass in parchment paper not only seals in the flavor, it also creates an attractive presentation for your guests
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 4 (6-ounce) striped bass fillets
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (¼-inch-thick) tomato slices (from 3-4 medium tomatoes)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Zest from ½ orange, removed in long wide strips with a vegetable peeler and cut crosswise into very thin strips
- 4 fresh herb sprigs, such as sage, thyme or parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut four 12-by-15-inch sheets of parchment paper. Fold each sheet crosswise in half to crease, then unfold. Trim the edges to create a heart shape if desired, and brush one side with a little olive oil or butter.
2. Season each piece of fish with salt and pepper, and put one fillet on the oiled side of each sheet. Top each fillet with three tomato slices, ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, one quarter each of butter and zest, and 1 herb sprig.
3. Working with one package at a time, fold the left half of the parchment over the fillet. Starting at one corner of the crease, fold the edge of the parchment over in triangles (each fold should overlap the previous one), following a semicircular path around the fillet, smoothing out the folds as you go and tucking the last fold under to seal the packet completely.
4. Heat a large baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Put the packets on the hot baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Test for doneness, then transfer the packets to plates and serve.