Spicy, Smoky Venison Chili Recipe
December 14, 2017
This hearty venison chili is filled with a blend of full-bodied flavors and spices
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 hours
- 2 pounds fresh ground venison
- 6 slices smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked ancho chili powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can dark beer
- 1 (15-ounce) can cooked kidney beans
- ¼ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
1. In a large heat-proof pan, fry bacon over medium heat. When bacon is rendered, add ground venison and cook for another 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic and onion and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes, beef broth and dark beer.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-6 hours or until the venison is tender. Add cooked kidney beans and heat until they are hot.
4. Place chili in a bowl and top with cheddar cheese and scallions. Serve.