Salmon and Scallion Rosti with Red Onion Relish and Maple Dijon Syrup
Sometimes, you want to bring the fine dining home. This salmon and scallion rosti recipe with red onion relish and maple Dijon syrup will have you feeling like you're dining at The Ritz
- 10 ounces of high quality fresh smoked salmon, thinly sliced (or make your own!)
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 4 sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 3 sliced cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Red Onion Relish
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 piece star anise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Maple Dijon Syrup
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Boil potatoes for 10 minutes or until a knife slides in but meets resistance in the middle.
2. Grate potato on largest holes on box grater. Mix potato, scallion, butter, bacon and salt and pepper in bowl.
3. Form into 4 patties about three inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Heat oil in pan. Once hot, sear patties until golden brown and repeat on opposite side. Keep warm in oven.
5. Heat oil for red onion relish in small pot. Add onions, sugar, red wine vinegar and star anise and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat stirring often.
6. Once onions are nice and reduced and remaining liquid is a syrupy constancy, spread onto a dish to cool.
7. Mix together grainy Dijon mustard and maple syrup in a bowl.
8. For plating, place scallion rosti on middle of plate. Spoon a dollop of crème fraiche on top of rosti. Twist a 2.5-ounce portion of smoked salmon on top of crème fraiche to form a nice rosette with good height. Place a small spoonful of red onion relish on top of salmon, and top that with a sprig of fresh dill. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of maple Dijon syrup around plate. Serve.