National Fishing and Boating Week Approaches
Dozens of events around the United States are primed and ready to go for National Fishing and Boating Week (NFBW), an annual celebration of two popular American pastimes.
NFBW this year takes place June 4-12, coinciding with many different states' free fishing days, where no license is required to enjoy the joys of fishing. In addition, many organizations hold such events as fishing clinics, tournaments, youth derbies, and casting competitions, all in an effort to help promote recreational boating and fishing.
This annual week-long celebration is coordinated by the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation (RBFF) through its Take Me Fishing campaign. RBFF is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase participation in recreational angling and boating and to promote awareness for this nation's aquatic natural resources.
More than 50 million Americans enjoy boating or fishing each year, but according to RBFF, participation rates have leveled off and has even seen some decline in certain states. The National Fishing and Boating Week is one way for RBFF to help reverse the trend and keep the tradition alive and well for future generations.
RBFF encourages others to host or sponsor an event during this special week, not only as a reason to help promote the joys of boating and fishing, but also as a means to raise awareness for one's own store, agency, or organization. For those interested in taking part in this celebration, RBFF provides a free and customizable Event Planning Kit, which includes such resources as printable ads, logos, planning strategies, and contact lists. You can download this kit by going to the website here.
Below is a sample of events that are taking place across the nation during National Fishing and Boating Week:
- Free Family Fishing Day Saturday, June 4, 9 to 11 a.m. - Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge, TX
- Free Fishing Day Saturday, June 4, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, TX
- Free Fishing Days Saturday, June 4 and Saturday, June 11, 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge, MD
- Youth Fishing Derby Saturday, June 11, 9 a.m. to noon - Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge, MD
- Youth Fishing Derby and Casting Competition Saturday, June 4, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Banks Lake National Wildlife Refuge, GA
- Youth Fishing Derby Saturday, June 4, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, MD
- Youth Fishing Derby Saturday, June 4, 7:30 a.m. to noon - Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, NY
- Family Fishing Day Saturday, June 4, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, WI
- Youth Fishing Day Saturday, June 4 - Necedah National Wildlife Refuge, WI
- Kids' Free Fishing Day Saturday, June 11, 8 to 10 a.m. - Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge, MI
- Youth Fishing Derby Saturday, June 11-Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge, ME