Mushroom and Blue Cheese Venison Burger Recipe
June 06, 2018
Form the patties for this burger recipe using ground venison, mushrooms and blue cheese
[caption id="attachment_98927" align="aligncenter" width="1366"] Top this venison burger recipe with extra mushrooms and blue cheese if you wish. (Photo courtesy of Scott Leysath, "The Sporting Chef")[/caption]
By: Scott Leysath, “The Sporting Chef”
Complaints are common regarding the lack of flavor from ground venison. The meat is very lean and can suffer miserably from overcooking. I often add about 20 percent ground fatty pork or beef to my ground venison to add flavor and moisture. In this instance, I have used a creamy blue cheese, onions and mushrooms for flavor.
While most of us prefer to have our meat ground for us by a game processor shortly after harvest, you’ll discover that freshly ground meat tastes better than previously ground and then frozen burger. You can also trim up hunks of meat, freeze it and then thaw and grind into burger before cooking.
Yield: 4 burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds ground venison
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 burger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
1. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Stir in mushrooms and sauté until soft. Transfer to a medium bowl and allow to cool.
2. Add ground venison, blue cheese, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and mix well with your hands to blend. Form into 4 large patties.
3. Grill, pan-fry or broil patties until browned. Add to bun with lettuce, tomato and your choice of other condiments.
[caption id="attachment_98928" align="aligncenter" width="622"] Fatty pork and beef adds flavor and moisture to the lean ground venison. (Photo courtesy of Scott Leysath, "The Sporting Chef")[/caption]
For more recipes from The Sporting Chef visit SportsmanChannel.com.