How to Gut and Clean a Salmon
Here is a guide on how to properly gut and clean a salmon.
Get more fish recipes and cooking tips!
- Lay the fish on its side and secure it in place.
- Put the knife under the gill plate and cut the gills at the bottom of the fish near the jaw bone. Continue cutting the gills up to the top of the head, and then pull them free from the fish.
- Cut along the bottom of the fish starting from the anus and working up to the jaw bone. Take care not to puncture the guts.
- Open the abdomen of the fish at the cut that you just made.
- Cut on each side of the heart to free it from the body.
- Starting with the stomach, pull the guts out of the fish. They should come out easily in one piece. Take care not to rupture any of the guys when removing them.
- Make a thin cut inside the abdomen along the center of the spine.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the artery.
- Wash the fish.
- Some areas require that you leave the head on the fish while transporting. Once ready to cook, remove the head by cutting behind the gill plates and up through the spine.