How to Fillet a Flounder
Here is a guide that outlines how to fillet a flounder.
- Place the fish on a flat cutting board with the light side down.
- Anchor the fish in place (with hand or clip) and cut on an angle behind the head. Cut a line completely across the back of the head, but only through the top layer of meat.
- Start from the tail and cut a line along the center of the fish. Follow the spine from the tail to the head.
- Cut across the tail just before the start of the tail fin.
- Starting from the cut along the spine, make a long cut from the head to the tail, following as close as you can to the ribs. Repeat this cut, close to the ribs and peeling back the fillet as you go.
- Stop just before the fin at the edge of the fish. Start a cut through the edge of the fish, starting from the head and lift the fillet up as you cut.
- Repeat the previous steps for the other half, but stop your cuts just before you reach the gut.
- Remove the guts and dispose of them.
- Turn the fish over and cut out the two fillets from the bottom in the same manner as was done on the top of the fish.