This past weekend turned out to be a pretty good one. It was hot but with not a lot of wind the fishing conditions were pretty good.

I started the weekend off by going to one see of my favorite bands Collective Soul. I have used a couple of their songs in my fishing videos. The song Heavy is one of my favorites.

The first song in my video above is called Heavy.

When they opened the concert with that song I could feel the inside of my body rattle. People said they could here the music half way across the city.

It was an amazing concert, the only problem  was, I would be  meeting my buddy Dan at 4:45 am the next morning for some fishing.

I managed to get a couple hours shut eye and it was off to the river.

It was a beautiful morning.

That's what I call fishing weather.
Dan had an early visitor.

The Dragonfly stayed there for about 20 minutes.  I had a good laugh when Dan went over to talk to another guy fishing while he had a big Dragonfly attached to his sweater. Dan acted like it wasn't there while he was talking to the guy.  The guy's eyes kept looking at the Dragonfly while they talked.  A good laugh to start the morning.

We headed out on the St. Lawrence in search of some Small Mouth.

That's the USA in the back round.

we were fishing on the old # 2 highway that was flooded out back in 1958 when they put the seaway through. In the photo above you can see the bottom of the river which is maybe two feet there.  That is halfway to the middle of river, it goes from twenty feet to a couple feet just like that.  We saw a lot of nice Small Mouth Bass on the drop offs, but they wouldn't hit. So it was Large Mouth time.

A pretty decent fish on the spook.

Dan had missed a couple and then he landed a small Bass to get on the board.

I put on a brand new Strike King Bleeding Buzz Bait and hit a Bass.

Dan hit another Bass on the Popper, the video is below.

Good fish Dan.

Since I had put a new Buzz Bait, it meant it was time to catch a Pike so it could bend it out of shape. Happens every time.

Another bent Buzz Bait, as long as the blade still spins that's all that matters. For only having a couple hours sleep it was a good time on the river.

On Sunday I headed the other way, with pretty heavy winds I had to hit some secluded bays.

I had to drag my boat through the bush to get to the river. It was around 100 degrees, it was a good work out.

Once on the water I took a few minutes to drink and catch my breath from dragging my boat in.

Caught a Bass on the Zara Spook.

The heat was brutal, but a Turtle was enjoying itself.
It had it's back legs stretched out.

A Blue Heron was fishing too.

The stump in the above picture was my target I had misses a couple in the area and I wasn't giving up until I landed a fish.

It took a lot of casts and playing around but I finally caught the stump Bass.

At some point I knew I would pull one out of there.

The weather took a turn for the worst, I was lucky enough to get my boat out of the water and back on the roof of my car, just before the wind  started to go crazy.

That storm came fast.

You can see how bad the wind was in the video above, apparently the wind did get up 100km. A lot of damage was cause by this storm.

 Except for the storm, all in all it was a pretty good weekend.

Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction


Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services


GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Game & Fish stories delivered right to your inbox every week.