Go Fishing Classes Available All Summer
Give kids the knowledge to catch fish like this one or join in a few classes to learn some new techniques
The sunny days of summer are here, and the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department's Let's Go Fishing Program, in partnership with other groups, will be offering several basic fishing and fly fishing classes. Classes are free unless otherwise noted. Be sure to call ahead to reserve your space. They offer a wonderful chance to learn a new pastime that will get you outside to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Wildcat Mountain Resort, Pinkham Notch- Learn how to fish or develop your fishing skills at a fun one-day free event on Saturday, June 18, at Wildcat Mountain Resort (Route 16, Pinkham Notch), from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (registration closes at noon). For more information, visit www.fishnh.com/Newsroom/News_2011/News_2011_Q2/LGF_Wildcat_Mtn_051811.html.
- Griffin Free Library, Auburn- Four-day BASIC workshop starting Monday, June 20 through Thursday, June 23. Classes run from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. each evening. Contact the library at (603) 483-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or for more information.
- Griffin Free Library, Auburn- Five-day FLY FISHING workshop starting Monday, July 25 through Friday, July 29. Monday through Thursday class runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., on Friday class will be 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact the library at (603) 483-5374 or email@example.com to sign up or for more information.
- Wadleigh Memorial Library, Milford- Four-part BASIC course on Monday, August 1 through Wednesday, August 3, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Thursday, August 4, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Go to www.wadleighlibrary.org to sign up or for more information. Open to Milford library card holders only.
- Haverhill Recreation Department- Five-part FLY FISHING course on Tuesdays, August 2, 9, 16 and 23, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; and Saturday August 27, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Call (603) 787-6096 for more information.
- Merrimack Library- Two day BASIC course on Friday, August 5 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Saturday, August 6, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Call (603) 424-5021 or e-mail Yvette@merrimack.lib.nh.us for more information. Open to Merrimack residents only.
The BASIC fishing classes include a hands-on indoor session where students explore the basic skills and equipment needed and resources available on the journey to becoming an angler. Once the basics are covered, there will be an on-the-water experience at a local pond to do some fishing! Classes are open to the public, unless otherwise noted. Participants age 14 and under should be accompanied by an adult.
The FLY FISHING classes are designed primarily for first-time fly-anglers, the classroom sessions will be spent covering the basics of equipment, fly casting, stream ecology, knot tying, safety and how to find those "hot spots" along New Hampshire's rivers and lakes. The final session of the program will be a field trip where participants will pull on waders and head out to a local pond to put their newly learned skills to the test.
New Hampshire Fish and Game's "Let's Go Fishing" program has taught thousands of children and adults to be safe, ethical and successful anglers. Find out more at www.fishnh.com/Fishing/lets_go_fishing_class_schedule.htm. The program is federally funded through the Sport Fish Restoration Program.