Deep-Fried Crappie Recipe
This deep-fried recipe works well with crappie, as well as any other type of fish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 pound crappie fillets
- 1 cup beer
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoons homemade garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons homemade onion powder
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons homemade cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Orange Crush soda
- Canola oil
1. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Whisk in enough Orange Crush to make a batter.
2. In a large heavy skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 2-3 inches of canola oil to 375 degrees.
3. Dip the crappie fillets in the beer and then coat completely with the batter. Fry until golden brown and drain well on a paper bag.
4. Serve with lemon wedges, tartar sauce and hot sauce.
For more crappie recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.