BBQ Fritos Venison Sliders Recipe
May 25, 2018
This BBQ Fritos Venison Sliders Recipe makes the perfect backyard barbecue appetizer or game day snack
[caption id="attachment_98609" align="aligncenter" width="1366"] Crunchy Fritos, red onion and white cheddar topped on a venison slider with drizzled honey BBQ sauce. (Chelsie Walters photo)[/caption]
By: Chelsie Walters
I forgot how good Fritos were until I recently bought some to create this venison sliders recipe. The salty corn chips add taste and an unforgettable crunch experience. You’ll crave Fritos in all your sandwiches and burgers.
Lay’s created BBQ flavored Fritos because the two are an excellent combo. That’s why this recipe calls for integrating BBQ sauce into the ground venison prior to cooking the patties, to ensure that every bite has that added BBQ appeal.
Yield: 6 sliders
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- ½ cup honey BBQ sauce, plus some extra
- 1 (9.25-ounce) bag Fritos
- 6 slices white cheddar cheese
- 6 slider buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine ½ cup honey BBQ sauce with ground venison until sauce is evenly mixed in with the meat. Divide venison in six parts and roll each into a ball. Press down on each venison ball to create a ½-inch thick patty. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
2. In a grill pan, add butter. Coat the pan with the melted butter and add venison patties. Allow to grill over medium-heat. Flip patties when grill marks begin to appear on the bottom, about 7 minutes. Add slice of white cheddar on top of each patty. If the slices of your cheese are larger than your venison patty, fold cheese slices in half so they fit. Cook the other side of the patties until browned and desired doneness is reached, 3 to 6 minutes depending on how rare you like your meat.
3. While the second side of the patties are cooking, lightly toast all slider buns on your oven broil setting. Watch them closely to make sure they don’t burn!
4. Plate slider buns and add a patty to each bottom half of bun. Top each patty with a palm-sized serving of Fritos and one or two rings of red onion. Add two teaspoons of BBQ sauce to each slider, seal them with the top buns and enjoy!